This video is a very accurate demonstration of what goes into a hardwood basketball floor. Although this floor is only used a few times, many other floors that are used everyday for years go through a similar manufacturing and assembly process. When you stop to think about how many people, touch the boards and how many locations the lumber passes through, before being installed in the venue, there is a lot more to a basketball floor than just playing sports on it.
I have had the honor to know and work with some of the people that have worked on the Final Four floor in the past and seen some of this process first hand. While I am not a huge basketball fan, I am a big admirer of the work that goes into these events and the beauty of a basketball floor. From harvesting the lumber to cleaning hard wood gym floor, the entire process is very interesting to see.
Quick Final Four Basketball Floor Stats:
- Between 80 and 90 trees 40′ tall make up the raw materials for the floor.
- The accuracy of each board is within 5/1,000th of an inch.
- 225 individual panels make up this gymnasium floor.
- Each panel weighs 200 pounds each.
- All together they weigh 45,000 pounds.
- It takes 2-3 hours to install the panels.
- After the tournament, the winning team has the option to purchase the floor for $90,000.